Nobody understands the excitement of a genealogical breakthrough like another genealogist does!
Joining your local genealogical society is a great way to get to know other genealogists who will celebrate those discoveries with you, generously share their knowledge and experience, and commiserate on those pesky brick walls. Becoming a part of a local genealogical organization also provides many volunteer opportunities to "pay it forward" to benefit other genealogists and future generations as we work to preserve, index, or abstract records of genealogical and historical importance to make the information that they contain more accessible to everyone. Your membership dues help to support the costs of running our organization so that we can keep our doors open and lights on, and continue our important work.
We invite you to become a member of the Topeka Genealogical Society.
Membership is open to anyone who has an interest in family history. Our membership year runs on a calendar year basis, from January 1st to December 31st. New memberships purchased after October 1 of this year will be credited with a full-year membership for next year, plus the remaining months of this year.
Benefits of Membership:
- Subscription to the electronic version of the TGS Quarterly, our magazine containing genealogical information covering Shawnee County and northeast Kansas.* Note: We will NOT be publishing the TGS Quarterly in 2024.
- Receipt of the electronic version News & Views newsletter, published monthly and filled with genealogy tips.*
- Free use of the TGS library, with checkout privileges for circulating materials.
- Discounted registration fees for TGS classes, workshops and Annual Conference.
- NEW! Reciprocal discounts on Conference registration fees with Johnson County & Wichita Genealogical Societies
- NEW! Free one-on-one mentoring opportunties
- Members-only discount opportunities on purchases of computers, software, and more.
- NEW! Discount on Research Assistance hourly fees ($25 hour for non-members, $15/hour for members)
- NEW! 15% Discount on purchases of TGS publications
- Participation in TGS Special Interest Groups.
- Monthly programs on genealogical and historical topics.
- Access to recordings of past programs
- Access to back issues of the TGS Quarterly (digital images)
- Opportunities for networking with other genealogists and family historians.
- Opportunities to learn new skills, or get involved with record preservation through volunteering with TGS.
- Participation in our closed FaceBook group
- Access to members-to-members forum, and TGS databases in the members-only section of our website.
- Voting privileges in TGS elections and decisions that require a vote of the membership.
* Printed versions of the News & Views newsletter, distributed via U.S. Postal Service mail, are available for an additional $10 per year to cover the costs of printing and mailing.
Categories of Membership:
|2024 Membership Fees
|Joint (two members living at same address)
|Student (up to age 25)
|Institutional (includes printed & mailed newsletter)
*For all membership categories, printed copies of the monthly TGS newsletter may be received by mail for an additional fee of $10 per year. We will NOT be publishing the TGS Quarterly in 2024.
Institutional members are non-voting, and will not be provided with access to information in the members-only section of our website.
How to Join (NEW MEMBERSHIPS ONLY):
Memberships may be purchased online by clicking the "Online Join" button here or in the Left Margin of this page.
Download the appropriate membership form below, and mail with payment to:
Topeka Genealogical Society
PO Box 4048
Topeka, KS 66604-0048
MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS: For current members who wish to renew, please go the the "Members-Only" page and log in before renewing. Once you have logged in, open your member profile (look under the members-only menu heading) and you should see a red button at the top that will take you to the renewal page. If you do not know your username or password, please click the ? at the end of the field for help. You may renew your membership within 75 days prior to or 45 days after your expiration date (December 31).
(Note: Organizational members are not eligible for access to the Member's Area, and may not renew online. Please fill out a member application and mail it in.)